I’m the luckiest girl in the world.
I say it all the time, because to me, it’s true! I’m so happy to do what I love for a living, and I happen to work for the most lovely family, in what I consider the most beautiful home in all of New York City.
This past week, my clients threw a fundraiser dinner for a senator and 65 people attended. They thought it would be fun to do Chinese food for the party, and I, of course, was in charge of the menu. There were passed hors d’oeuvres, a buffet for dinner, and plated and passed desserts.
The party was a great success, and everyone raved about the food. I wanted to share the menu with you so that you could see how I fed 65 people at a VIP fundraising event an Asian inspired, gluten-free meal– and no one would ever have guessed!
- Assortment of Spiced Nuts- including Curried Cashews and Five-Spice Glazed Walnuts
- Salmon and Avocado Spring Rolls with Sweet Chili Garlic Sauce
- Spicy Crab Sushi Rolls
- Spicy Beef with Peanut Sauce served on Endive
- The Skinny Chef’s Cucumber Tuna Cups
- Passed Cocktail: Mango Saketini
- Baby Greens with Mangoes in a Sweet and Sour Vinaigrette
- Shrimp with Cashews, Shittakes, and Bell Peppers
- General Tso’s Tofu with Steamed Broccoli
- Chicken with String Beans in Garlic Sauce
- Asparagus with Black Bean Sauce
- Steamed Sticky Rice
- Green Tea Panna Cotta with Raspberries
- Fudge Brownies with with Candied Ginger and Almonds served with Fresh Whipped Cream
- Frozen Chai Latte Shooters
Creating your own gluten-free party is simple. You don’t need to follow a recipe word for word. Experimentation is key. Even the most basic cook can substitute gluten-free ingredients where others used to be. Use this site, and some of the other great gluten-free recipe blogs listed on the right as a inspiration, but don’t limit yourself!
- Rice-paper spring roll wrappers, nori, and gluten-free breadcrumbs are all great for appetizers and hors d’oeuvres.
- Rice pastas, gluten-free tamari, and corn tortillas are indispensable staples for gluten-free entrées.
- When it comes to dessert, Bob’s Red Mill All Purpose GF Baking Flour is a cornerstone (for me) as well as custards and puddings like my Coconut Almond Rice Pudding or Peanut Butter Banana Cream Pie.