Buttermilk Ham and Cheese Scones
Makes 18 Scones
I’ve never had a better scone in my life, gluten-free or otherwise! As with most gluten-free baked goods, these are best the same day, but they will keep for a couple days in an airtight container, or even better, freeze a few in a zip lock bag for next time!
1 cup all-purpose gluten-free flour blend (I use Bob’s Red Mill)
1 cup white rice flour
1 cup corn starch
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 sticks (1 cup) cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 1/4 cups well-shaken buttermilk
3/4 cup diced ham (about 1/4 inch)
3/4 cup diced gruyere cheese (about 1/4 inch)
1/2 cup sliced scallions
1 egg yolk
1 tablespoon milk
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment and set aside.
2. In the bowl of a food processor combine the gluten-free flour, rice flour, corn starch, xanthan gum, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Pulse 3-4 times to combine the dry ingredients
3. Add in the chunks of cold butter and pulse until the butter is evenly distributed through the flour mixture and is the size of small peas. Transfer the mixture to a large bowl and add in the buttermilk, ham, cheese, and scallions.
4. Use your hands to mix the dough until all of the flour is incorporated, but don’t overmix! You don’t want the butter to get too soft from your body heat. Turn out onto a flat surface sprinkled with corn starch. Use a rolling pin to form the dough into an 18 inch square that’s about 1 inch thick.
5. Using a sharp knife, cut the square into thirds vertically, then into thirds horizontally, so you have 9 smaller squares. Cut each square corner to corner to form 18 triangles.
6. Use a spatula to gently transfer the scones to the cookie sheets. Combine the egg yolk and milk in a small bowl, then using a pastry brush, brush the scones with the egg mixture. Bake for 15-18 minutes or until golden.
- Approximate Nutritional Information: Per Serving (1 Scone)
Total Fat: 13 grams
Carbohydrates: 22 grams
Fiber: 1 grams
Protein: 5 grams