Using precut squash from the market and leftover cooked chicken makes putting this dish together quick and easy.
Pasta with Butternut Squash, Chicken, and Sage
1 box gluten-free penne
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 pound butternut squash, peeled and cut into ½ inch cubes
4 cloves garlic, minced
3 cups baby spinach leaves
1 cup half and half (½ cup cream, ½ cup milk)
1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
2 cups cooked cubed chicken
3 tablespoons of thinly sliced sage leaves
salt and pepper to taste
1. Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
2. In a large sauté pan over medium heat, cook the squash in the olive oil until it begins to soften. Add the garlic and cook until it begins to brown around the edges.
3. Turn the heat up to high, add the baby spinach, and cook until it begins to wilt.
4. Add the half and half and cook 2-3 minutes, until it reduces by about one third.
5. Add the pasta, parmesan, chicken, and sage and cook 1-2 minutes longer to warm the pasta and meld the flavors. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.