Chocolate Chip Cookies with Oats and Flax
Makes 4 dozen cookies
Of all the gluten-free chocolate chip cookie recipes I’ve tested, so far this is my favorite. I love the chewiness of the oats, and the walnuts hide the metallic flavor you sometimes get from the gluten-free flour.
1 cup gluten-free flour blend (try Bob’s Red Mill)
3 tablespoons flax seed meal
½ teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
1 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup gluten-free oats
½ cup chopped walnuts
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare greased cookie sheets.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, flax, baking soda, salt, and xanthan gum.
3. In a separate bowl, cream together the butter and the sugar. Add vanilla and egg and combine thoroughly.
4. Fold in the flour mixture, and then add the chocolate chips, oats, and walnuts until just combined.
5. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto prepared cookie sheets. Bake 11-12 minutes or until golden around the edges.
6. Remove to a cooling rack. Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days.