These are the perfect holiday cookie. I love the chewy texture and molasses adds the perfect sweetness.
Chewy Molasses Spice Cookies
Makes 3 Dozen Cookies
1/2 cup gluten-free flour blend (try Bob’s Red Mill)
3/4 cup coconut flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg (freshly grated is best)
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
1/4 cup cream cheese, softened
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons molasses
2 teaspoons vanilla
3 tablespoons water
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. In a medium bowl whisk together the flours, baking soda, baking powder, xanthan gum, salt, and spices.
3. In another medium bowl with an electric mixer, cream the butter, cream cheese, and sugar.
4. Add the molasses, egg, vanilla, and water. Blend. With the mixer on low, begin to add the dry ingredients, and blend to thoroughly combine.
5. At this point the dough is ready to shape and bake. You have 2 options:
- Cookie Cutter Method:
On a flat surface dusted with powdered sugar, roll the dough with a rolling pin to approximately 1/4 inch thick. Cut cookies into shapes with cookie cutters. Then place onto a greased cookie sheet and bake 9-11 minutes, until golden but still soft.
- Round Cookies:
Roll into walnut sized balls, and press onto a greased cookie sheet with your fingers to make a 2 1/2 inch circles approximately 1/4 inch thick. Bake 9-11 minutes, until golden but still soft.
6. Remove to cooling rack and let the cookies cool. Store in an airtight container.