Peanut butter and bananas are such a perfect pair. I love this take on the classic Banana Cream Pie!
Banana Cream Pie
1 ½ cups gluten-free graham cracker crumbs
3 tablespoons butter, melted plus 1 tablespoon cold butter, separated
2 cups milk
1/4 cup cornstarch
½ cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
½ cup natural peanut butter (creamy)
3 bananas, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons chopped peanuts for garnish (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. In a medium bowl, combine graham cracker crumbs and melted butter. Pour into a 9-inch pie plate and press into bottom and sides of plate to form an even crust. Bake for 7-10 minutes until golden brown. Set aside to cool.
2. In a large saucepan over medium heat, whisk together milk, cornstarch, sugar, salt, and egg. Stir occasionally. When mixture begins to thicken, stir constantly to avoid lumps. Turn off heat when mixture comes to a boil and has reached a pudding consistency.
3. Add cold butter, peanut butter and vanilla extract and whisk until smooth.
4. Place the bananas in an even layer at the bottom of the graham crust.
5. Pour the peanut butter mixture into the pie crust. Lay plastic wrap directly on the surface of the pie, and refrigerate, at least 3 hours, until set. Garnish with peanuts.
- Lighter Version:
This recipe works great with nonfat milk too!