This hearty chili is full of fall flavor with pumpkin puree and pumpkin pie spice- a spice blend with delicious warm flavors like cinnamon, ginger, mace, clove, and allspice. They combine beautifully here with tender bits of steak and black beans.
Steak Chili with Pumpkin
2 pounds boneless eye round of beef, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
2 tablespoons canola oil
3 medium poblano peppers, diced
1 medium onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
3 tablespoons mild chili powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1 tablespoon cumin
1 teaspoon coriander
1 teaspoon dried oregano
2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 cups beef stock
1 14 oz. can crushed tomatoes
1 14 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup fresh or canned pumpkin puree
salt and pepper to taste
sour cream (optional, for garnish)
1. In a large dutch oven, heat 1 tablespoon of oil over high heat. Add half of the cubed beef to the pan, season with salt and pepper, and brown, stirring occasionally to cook evenly, about 8 minutes. Remove to bowl, and repeat with the remaining beef.
2. Return all the meat to the pot, and add the onions, garlic, and peppers. Cook 5-6 minutes or until the onions become soft and translucent.
3. Add the spices and cook 1-2 minutes or until fragrant.
4. Stir in the brown sugar, beef stock, tomatoes, black beans, and pumpkin. Reduce heat to medium low.
5. Cover the pot and simmer 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until the beef is tender and the chili has thickened. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper if necessary. Serve garnished with sour cream.