Sweet and light as air, this classic dessert is simple to make and so yummy!
3 large eggs, separated
2/3 cup sugar
8 ounces mascarpone cheese
1/8 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/4 cups very strongly brewed coffee or brewed espresso, room temperature
1/4 cup dark rum
1 package gluten-free lady fingers (about 16 lady fingers- I love the Schär brand)
2 ounces bittersweet chocolate
1. Beat together the egg yolks and sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer at medium speed until thick and pale, about 2 minutes, then beat in the mascarpone cheese until smooth and creamy.
2. In a separate bowl with clean beaters, beat egg whites and salt until they hold stiff peaks.
3. In a third bowl, beat the heavy cream and vanilla until it holds stiff peaks.
4. Fold the whipped cream into the mascarpone mixture, then gently fold in the whites. The mixture should be thoroughly combined and smooth. Set aside.
5. In a shallow bowl, combine the rum and coffee. Dip each ladyfinger in coffee mixture, soaking through until soft but not falling apart, then transfer to an 8-inch glass trifle dish, or individual sized trifle dishes or glasses. Make one layer of lady fingers along the bottom, and top with a layer of the mascarpone mixture. Repeat with another layer of coffee soaked lady fingers and another layer of the mascarpone mixture.
6. Using a microplane or cheese grater, shave the chocolate over the top of the tiramisu. Chill covered, at least 4 hours.