This buttery toffee popcorn is the perfect balance of salty and sweet. You might think it makes a lot, but just try to keep your hand out of the bag!
Makes 22 Cups
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 cup popcorn kernels
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1. Preheat oven to 325°F.
2. Over a medium-high flame, heat the canola oil in a large, heavy-bottomed stock pot. Add the popcorn and cover the pot with a tightly fitting lid.
3. Let the pot sit until you begin to hear the kernels pop, then shake the covered pot every few seconds to prevent the popcorn from burning. Once the popping begins to slow, remove from heat.
4. Let the pot sit covered until the popping stops completely.
5. Meanwhile, melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the sugars and salt and cook until the sugars melt and begin to bubble. Cook 1-2 minutes longer, then remove from heat.
6. Pour the sugar mixture into the stock pot with the popcorn. Stir with a silicone spatula until all of the kernels are evenly coated.
7. Spread onto greased cookie sheets and bake, 20-25 minutes. Stir at 5-minute intervals to prevent burning. You will know the popcorn is done when it is golden brown and the toffee coating is crunchy once it has cooled. Test a piece to be sure.
8. Let cool on the cookie sheets, stirring occasionally to prevent clumps, then store in ziploc bags for up to 10 days.
If you like, add a couple handfuls of peanuts when you add the sugar mixture to the popcorn. Yum.