Warm and cozy, this gluten-free, dairy-free, and vegan pumpkin spice latte recipe puts a healthy twist on the classic fall drink.
Ahh, the classic #PSL. Who doesn't love a warm pumpkin spice latte in the fall? It's cozy, comforting, and perfectly spiced. But at your local coffee shop it's probably full of sugar—not to mention that the classic pumpkin spice syrup often contains sweetened condensed milk - which is not vegan or lactose-friendly.
Insert this healthy pumpkin spice latte recipe! It is gluten-free, dairy-free, refined sugar-free, vegan, and paleo. Now isn't that a mouthful! You might ask - "If this sounds too good to be true, then what IS in this healthy pumpkin spice latte?" That is a mighty fine question. Keep reading to find out just how simple it can be to make the coffee shop classic at home!
Looking for more fall recipes? Check these out:
- Starbucks Copycat Pumpkin Scones
- Vegan Pumpkin Pasta Sauce
- Dairy-Free Pumpkin Bread
- Dairy-Free Vampire Bite Cupcakes
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- Allergy-friendly. This healthier pumpkin spice latte is free of gluten, dairy, and refined sugar. It is also vegan!
- Have the coffee shop experience at home! You won't miss the dairy and added sugar.
- You can have a healthy homemade drink in just 3 minutes.
- Save money! You don't need to spend $6 on a drink because you probably already have everything in your pantry.
Here is everything you'll need to make this quick and easy dairy-free pumpkin spice latte:
- Pumpkin purée: Because it's in the name! The best part is, you probably have some pumpkin left over from another baked good these days, so this is the perfect way to use that up.
- Maple syrup: Just a tablespoon of this refined sugar-free sweetener gives the pumpkin spice latte the perfect level of sweetness.
- Pumpkin pie spice: A small sprinkle of this spicy mixture evokes all the flavours of fall!
- Espresso: I love my Nespresso machine(s). I actually have both the original and Vertuo line machines, and they are great for quick, good quality coffee at home. I like to brew a long shot on the original machine, or use a double shot pod on the Vertuo machine. But you can use whatever type of espresso or strong coffee you have.
- Dairy-free milk: My favourite milk for frothed drinks is Silk unsweetened almond milk. For some reason, it's the only almond milk I can get to froth and it foams beautifully. I use my Nespresso Aeroccino to froth, but you could also warm your milk and use a handheld milk frother.
Optional: Dairy-free whipped cream and cinnamon sprinkle: If you're feeling extra festive, try adding some coconut whipped cream, a sprinkle of cinnamon, and a fresh cinnamon stick to your drink!
I recommend using a handheld milk frother for this recipe. It blends the "pumpkin sauce" ingredients beautifully with little mess. If you don't have one, you could use a regular whisk as long as it's small.
You can also use the handheld milk frother to foam your milk if you pre-heat it, although I find best results using an electric machine like the Nespresso Aeroccino.
Be sure to read the recipe card below for the full ingredient list and instructions.
(1) Add the pumpkin purée, maple syrup, pumpkin pie spice, and a dash of milk into a mug.
(2) Whisk together with a handheld milk frother.
(3) Brew the espresso and pour into the mug.
(4) Whisk again to incorporate.
(5) While the espresso is brewing, heat and froth the milk.
(6) Pour the milk into the mug.
(7) Use a spoon to top with the foamed milk.
(8) Top with a sprinkle of cinnamon and/or coconut whipped cream. Enjoy!
A warm and cozy pumpkin spice latte can pair with so many different accompaniments. Why not try:
- Dairy-Free Pumpkin Scones (Starbucks Copycat)
- Dairy-Free Pumpkin Bread
- Rice Crispy Treats
- Paleo Carrot Muffins
- Move quickly. It will only take less than 3 minutes to create this delicious drink, but move quick to ensure you can enjoy it piping hot!
- Keep the handheld milk frother inside the cup. Be careful you don't whisk too high and create a splatter mess!
- Don't worry if your latte separates. I find that sometimes the sauce will sink to the bottom of the cup because it is more dense than the milk. Don't worry, just give it a stir if you find that happening.
Frequently Asked Questions
No, actually! You may not know this, but Starbucks' pumpkin spice latte is actually not dairy-free. Their pumpkin sauce that is the base of the drink contains condensed milk, which is not lactose or dairy-free.
Absolutely! To make this dairy-free pumpkin spice latte also nut-free, all you have to do is use soy milk. (Or your favourite dairy and nut-free milk).
If left to sit, the homemade pumpkin sauce may sink to the bottom of the cup because it is more dense than the milk. Don't worry, just give it a stir if you find that happening.
This healthier dairy-free pumpkin spice latte is perfect for a cozy fall day! Gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan, refined sugar-free, and paleo - everyone can enjoy this delicious drink regardless of dietary restrictions.
Have you made this healthy pumpkin spice latte? Be sure to leave a comment telling me how much you loved it, and tag me on instagram @livglutenfree! I hope you enjoy as much as I do!
More Fall Recipes You'll Love
Dairy-Free Pumpkin Spice Latte
- Handheld milk frother / small electric whisk
- Heated milk frothing machine
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin purée
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1-2 shots espresso
- 1-1.5 cups dairy-free milk
- Add the pumpkin purée, maple syrup, pumpkin pie spice, and a dash of milk into a mug. Whisk together with a handheld milk frother.
- Brew the espresso and pour into the mug. Whisk again to incorporate.
- While the espresso is brewing, heat and froth the milk.
- Pour the milk into the mug. Top with a sprinkle of cinnamon and/or coconut whipped cream. Enjoy!