This no bean chili recipe is a gut-friendly take on the cozy comfort meal. This chili is gluten free, dairy free, and paleo. Perfect for game day or a cozy winter night!
Prepare for this No Bean Chili to be the star of your game day feast! Or just another cozy winter night.
Meat, vegetables, and tomato sauce with a unique blend of chili spices is a classic winter dish that is typically naturally gluten free and dairy free. In recent years however, I've developed what I think is an intolerance to legumes, and beans fall into that.
But beans are a staple in chili?! You might think.
Insert my No Bean Chili! All the flavours and textures of the classic dish, but none of the gut-disrupting legumes. It's that easy!
Whether its football Sunday or you're looking for a healthy and hearty family meal, this recipe is for you. Want to lean how to make chili without the beans? Keep on reading!
This recipe combines all of the classic ingredients and flavours of chili - just without the beans. You won't miss them! Here's what you'll need:
- Olive oil: To get everything nice and sautéed
- Ground beef: Give the chili texture. This is definitely not a vegetarian chili, but you could use a meat substitute if you wish!
- Onion, celery, bell peppers: Since there's no beans in this recipe, we're definitely bulking up the rest of the veggies! These ones are chili classics and lend a variety of textures to the chili which is key.
- Tomato paste: Gives a deeper and stronger tomato flavour than just the crushed tomatoes alone. It's key to the flavour!
- Spices: We're using the classic chili spices in this recipe. Chili powder (duh!), cumin, paprika, cayenne, onion powder, garlic powder, salt & pepper create the delicious and hearty flavour profile.
- Crushed tomatoes: These give bulk to the chili. You can either buy crushed tomatoes or get whole tomatoes and crush them yourself. This is my preferred method with Italian San Marzano tomatoes. They're the best.
- Beef broth: This is an ingredient where if you didn't include it, you'd feel like the chili was missing something, yet you can't really put your finger on it! Not only does beef broth lend a depth of flavour to the chili, it also helps create the perfect consistency balance between thick, chunky, and spoonable.
How to make no bean chili
What's great about this chili is that most of the cook time is hands-off. This leaves you time to go relax while prepping dinner, or get cooking on your several other football apps! And it's super easy to make ahead of time. Here's how you do it.
Start by preparing all of the vegetables while heating olive oil in a heavy bottom pot over medium heat. Once warmed, add the ground beef to the pot and sauté until brown and fully cooked, about 6-7 minutes. Remove the beef to a bowl temporarily.
Then add all of the vegetables to the same pot and cook in the oil and fat until soft, about another 6-7 minutes. Use additional olive oil if it gets a bit dry.
Next add the tomato paste and spices to toast until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add the ground beef back to the pot along with the crushed tomatoes and beef broth.
Turn the heat up to high. Once boiling, turn the heat to low and cover. Simmer, covered, for 60 minutes, stirring occasionally. Then continue simmering for an additional 30 minutes partially covered. To do this, have the lid covering the pan but not on all the way. This allows some of the moisture from the veggies to evaporate and thicken the chili.
Remove from the heat and serve! Garnish how you like. Some popular picks are:
- Green onions
- (Dairy free) cheese
- (Dairy free) sour cream
Best served fresh, however you may cool the chili completely and store in the fridge for up to 2 days. Reheat to serve. I have not personally tried freezing leftovers but I think that should work well!
This gluten free, dairy free, and paleo no bean chili recipe is sure to be a hit at the next game day party or cozy winter night! It's warm, spicy, and cozy. Perfect for anyone and everyone to enjoy!
Have you made this no bean chili recipe? Be sure to leave a comment telling me how much you loved it, and tag me on instagram @livglutenfree! I hope you enjoy as much as I do!
More Gluten-Free Mains
No Bean Chili (Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Paleo)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb ground beef
- ½ white onion, diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon each: cumin and salt
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon each: cayenne, garlic powder, onion powder
- few cracks of black pepper
- 15 oz. can of crushed tomatoes
- 1½ cups beef broth
- garnish with jalapenos, green onion, cheese, or sour cream (dairy-free if required)
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy-bottom pot on medium heat. Once warm, add the ground beef and sauté until brown (6-7 minutes). Remove the ground beef to a bowl.
- Place the diced onion, celery, and peppers into the pot. Add additional oil if it is a bit dry. Cook until soft (about 6-7 minutes).
- Then add the tomato paste and all spices. Toast for 2 minutes.
- Add the meat back into the pot along with the crushed tomatoes and beef broth. Stir to combine everything.
- Bring the chili to a boil over high heat. Once it's boiled, reduce to low heat. Simmer for 60 minutes covered, stirring occasionally, followed by 30 minutes partially covered (i.e. have the lid on but not all the way). This will help to thicken up the chili.
- Then, take off the heat and serve. Garnish with your favourite toppings such as jalapenos, chopped green onion, (dairy free) cheese or sour cream. Enjoy!