Easy Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
These healthy buffalo chicken stuffed sweet potatoes are made in just 20 minutes with 5 ingredients. Packed with protein and flavour, this easy meal or snack is sure to be a favourite in your home.
- 2 chicken breasts
- 2 medium size sweet potatoes
- ½ cup buffalo sauce
- 2 tablespoon ranch dressing
- 2 tablespoon sliced green onions or chives
Place the chicken breasts in a large pot. Cover with cold water about 1 inch above the chicken. Ensure there is still room in the pot so it doesn't boil over. Place the pot over high heat until it comes to a boil. Once boiling, add a generous pinch of salt and turn down to medium-high. The water should be bubbling gently. Simmer for 12-15 minutes until the internal temperature is 165ºF.
While the chicken boils, prepare the sweet potatoes. Wash thoroughly, dry, and use a fork to stab the sweet potatoes all over for ventilation. Place the potatoes on a microwave-safe plate and microwave for about 5-7 minutes, flip, and then another 5-7 minutes. Time will vary for very small or very large potatoes. It will be soft to the touch when done. Use oven mitts to handle the hot plate.
Use a sharp knife to carefully cut the potatoes in half lengthwise. If they are still firm on the inside, place back in the microwave for 1 minute at a time. Use a fork to rough up the sweet potatoes and create space for the chicken to sit.
Place the fully cooked chicken breasts in a large bowl and immediately shred. The quickest and easiest way to do this is with a stand or hand mixer. Beat the chicken, starting on low speed and gradually increasing, until it is finely shredded. So simple! If you don't have a mixer, you can shred the chicken with 2 forks or slice it into small cubes. Pour the buffalo sauce on the chicken and mix with a spatula.
Place the shredded buffalo chicken on top of each sweet potato boat. Drizzle with ranch dressing and top with chopped green onions. Enjoy warm!
Nutrition facts are an estimation.
- Ensure your chicken is cooked by removing it from the pot and using a probe thermometer to check that the internal temperature at the thickest part is 165ºF.
- Once cooked through, shred the chicken immediately.
- Storage: Stuffed sweet potatoes can be cooled and stored in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 2 days. Reheat in the microwave for 1-2 minutes, or in the air fryer at 350ºF for about 10 minutes for a crispier potato.
- Freezing is not recommended.
Calories: 335kcal | Carbohydrates: 21g | Protein: 25g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 3.8g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 3.2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 4.7g | Trans Fat: 0.1g | Cholesterol: 78mg | Sodium: 998mg | Potassium: 567mg | Fiber: 2.8g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 4107IU | Vitamin C: 4.8mg | Calcium: 43.4mg | Iron: 1.5mg