Gluten-Free Dairy-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies
These gluten-free and dairy-free chocolate chip cookies have a soft gooey centre with a crispy golden edge. They taste just like classic cookies, but are made gluten and dairy free! Perfect for many diets and occasions.
Servings: 20 cookies
- ½ cup coconut oil, softened or softened dairy-free butter
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup white sugar
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1⅔ cup gluten-free all-purpose flour with xanthan gum I use Bob's Red Mill 1:1 Baking Flour (blue bag)
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips I like the mini chips from Enjoy Life Foods
Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Use a whisk to beat the softened coconut oil and both sugars together until fluffy. Whisk in the vanilla extract and egg.
Place the gluten-free flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in the bowl. Lightly stir them together on top, then fold with a rubber spatula until there are no dry spots. The dough will be fairly thick.
Save a few tablespoons of chocolate chips for topping the cookies, then fold in the remaining chocolate chips. Use a 1-tablespoon cookie scoop to form the dough into about 20 balls. Press the remaining chocolate chips into the tops of the cookie dough balls. Place them on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
For crispier cookies, bake immediately. For softer cookies, refrigerate the cookie dough balls for 30 minutes (Liv Gluten-Free preference).
Bake for 12-14 minutes until the edges are lightly coloured and the centres are still a little soft. For perfectly round cookies, take a large cookie cutter or the top of a glass and gently swirl it around each cookie immediately after removing from the oven. This will reinforce a circular shape as the cookie cools.
Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 15 minutes until they are set, then transfer to a wire rack to continue cooling. Enjoy warm or allow to come to room temperature.
Nutrition facts are an estimation.
- To soften the coconut oil: Place in the microwave for 10 seconds, stir, and repeat if necessary.
- Instead of coconut oil: Use dairy-free butter. Or for a less coconutty taste, use refined coconut oil instead of virgin.
- Storage Instructions: Cookies will keep in an airtight container at room temperature for 3-4 days.
- Freezing Cookie Dough: Place the prepared cookie dough on a parchment-lined baking sheet and flash freeze for 10 minutes. This will prevent the cookies from sticking to each other. Then place the cookie dough balls in a freezer bag or airtight container and freeze for up to 3 months. Bake at 350ºF for 14-16 minutes until the edges are golden and the middle is slightly soft.
- Freezing Baked Cookies: Wrap cookies tightly in plastic wrap or aluminum foil and place in a freezer safe container. Freeze for up to 3 months. To thaw, allow to sit at room temperature for a few hours. Reheat for 10-15 seconds in the microwave if desired.
Calories: 167kcal | Carbohydrates: 24g | Protein: 1.2g | Fat: 9.3g | Saturated Fat: 6.1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 0.4g | Cholesterol: 8.2mg | Sodium: 46mg | Potassium: 56mg | Fiber: 1.1g | Sugar: 14.5g | Vitamin A: 3.5IU | Calcium: 18.9mg | Iron: 0.3mg