Gluten-Free Chicken Taquitos
These gluten-free chicken taquitos are delicious dipped in your favourite salsa or guacamole. Corn tortillas are stuffed with a spiced chicken and cheese filling, then baked or air fried until crisp. They store great in the freezer for whenever the craving strikes. Vegetarian option included too!
Servings: 16 taquitos
For the Chicken
- 2 chicken breasts butterflied and pounded about ½" thick. See note below about using pre-cooked chicken or a vegetarian option.
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne optional
For the Taquitos
- 4 oz softened cream cheese
- 2 cups shredded cheese cheddar or marble
- ½ cup salsa
- Avocado oil spray
- 16 6” small corn tortillas
- Refried beans in place of cream cheese
- Diced onion, jalapeño or green chilies for filling or topping
- For dipping: salsa, sour cream, guacamole
For the Taquitos
Turn the oven up to 425ºF and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper, or prepare your air fryer.
In a medium-size bowl, use a rubber spatula to combine the cream cheese, shredded cheese, and salsa. Gently add the chicken cubes (and spices if they were not baked onto the chicken), and mix until thoroughly combined. Add any optional fillings you enjoy.
Working in batches, wrap 3 corn tortillas in a damp paper towel, place on a plate, and microwave for 20 seconds. Remove one tortilla at a time, keeping the others wrapped. Use a rubber or offset spatula to spread the filling mixture over half of the tortilla. Gently roll the tortilla, starting at the filled end. Use a little bit of filling to seal the taquito. Place on the baking sheet, seam side down. Quickly fill and roll the other warmed tortillas, heating again if they start cracking. Repeat with batches of tortillas until all the filling is used up.
Spray the taquitos lightly with some avocado oil spray. Bake in the oven at 425ºF for 18-20 minutes ORAir fry at 400ºF for 7-10 minutes until taquitos are crispy. Cheese may ooze out but that's okay.
Serve immediately with salsa, sour cream, and guacamole! Enjoy hot. See storage and freezing instructions below.
Nutrition facts are an estimation.
- Using pre-cooked chicken: To speed up the preparation, use pre-cooked chicken like a rotisserie chicken. Chop the chicken into very small cubes and follow all recipe instructions, adding the chicken and spices directly into the cream cheese filling mixture.
- Vegetarian taquitos: For a vegetarian option, omit the chicken. Follow all recipe directions, simply adding the spices into the cream cheese filling mixture.
- Dairy-free: Try using refried beans in place of the cream cheese. Use your favourite dairy-free shredded cheese.
- Steam the corn tortillas! They will become much more pliable and won't crack when rolling. Wrap 3 tortillas at a time in a damp paper towel, place on a plate, and microwave for 20 seconds. Fill and roll in batches.
- Storage: Leftover baked taquitos can be cooled and stored in an airtight container in the fridge for 1-2 days. They will likely soften, so be sure to re-heat them in the oven at 425ºF for 7-10 minutes, or in the air fryer at 400ºF for 4-7 minutes. I recommend freezing them for later consumption.
- Freezing: Leftover baked taquitos can be cooled and frozen in an airtight container for up to 3 months. To re-heat, bake taquitos in the oven at 425ºF for 15-20 minutes or air fry at 400ºF for 8-11 minutes until crisp.
Calories: 243kcal | Carbohydrates: 22g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 4.9g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.9g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3.4g | Trans Fat: 0.2g | Cholesterol: 39mg | Sodium: 273mg | Potassium: 112.8mg | Fiber: 1.1g | Sugar: 0.7g | Vitamin A: 119IU | Vitamin C: 0.2mg | Calcium: 132mg | Iron: 1mg